Saturday, November 3, 2012

Our Home - Main Living Areas

I honestly didn't know what to write about this morning and I promised myself I wouldn't go more than two days without blogging so I decided to give you a tour of our home.  It shows our love of the water and is filled with furniture I made or refinished and things we have inherited over the years.  Our style is what I call coastal casual. 

I am going to do this in several parts so I don't have one super long post and it will give me something to write about over the next few days.  I hope y'all enjoy!

Just some background on our house: We live in a rent house in New Orleans near Lake Pontchartrain.  My husband's job moved us here in January from Texas and since our time here is limited we felt renting was the best option for us.  As most of you know, renting has some great advantages but there are some huge disadvantages when trying to decorate and making it your own.  I have tried to make the least amount of nail holes as possible and I have tried to bring in color with accessories since I can't paint the walls.



Our Entry

The main focal point of our entry is my grandparent's dresser that I refinished and now use as a buffet.  I also purchased a set of french doors from a home in uptown, NOLA and they stand on each side of the buffet.  The three canvases I did to remind us of our travels.  The one on the left are some cocktail coasters I bought in the Caribbean one trip, the middle canvas is a photo I took of us on the beach, and the last one is a map of the Caribbean I Modge Podged onto the canvas.


Grandparent's Dresser Before & After






Our Living Areas

The house has an open concept floor plan.  Our living, dining, kitchen is all one big room. That and the 12+ feet ceilings makes the house feel a lot bigger than 1700 square feet.

I am hoping to reveal a new dining room table and chairs soon, but y'all will have to wait for that.  It's on my to do list for the Thanksgiving Holidays.

Kitchen Table Before & After




End Table Before & After






 An overall view of our kitchen. I would not have chosen the black and white marble but it is really the only thing I hate about the house. I covered the bar stools so they would coordinate better.  The shutters behind the photo on top of the cabinets is from my parents house that they lost to Hurricane Rita.  I painted them with a crackle blue.  They make a great back drop for my photo from the Bahamas.



 An overall view of our living room.  Can you tell I love Pottery Barn?  I am also in love with our two sets of french doors that lead to our back porch.  That is now a must for any future home.



 Thanks for reading and check back tomorrow for a tour of our master bedroom.





















No comments:

Post a Comment