Sunday, November 4, 2012

Our Home - The Master Bedroom

Today's post is short and sweet.  It is a quick tour of our master bedroom. 

When planning for our room,  it was important that I didn't put too much in the room.  I didn't want it to become cluttered or high maintenance.  I wanted something calm and relaxing but still a little romantic. It was important to me that Brian was happy with the room too. I am not very girly but it is easy to go there in a bedroom if you are not careful. I fell in love with this bedding from Bed, Bath, and Beyond the moment I saw it. I knew I had to have it and I am so happy with it. Thank goodness for all those 20% off coupons! 

The headboard I built from scratch. I am very proud of this project because I built the headboard (designed the shape, cut the wood, nail and glued the frame together, installed foam and batting), sewed and put on the cover, and installed the nail head trim all by myself.  This was a big project and there were several moments where I thought I had lost my mind by taking this on by myself but it was well worth it.  I am very pleased with the end product and now we have this great one of a kind piece in our home.

Headboard

I also refinished the trunk at the end of our bed several years ago.






Door End Tables
I didn't want the traditional end tables. Of course I saw something similar on Pinterest (addicting isn't it?) and once I saw the idea, I couldn't get it out of my head. Traditional end tables would never do now. So this is what I came up with. I added a small shelf and braces so it would stand up on its own. The lanterns were not exactly what I had in mind but when I saw them on the clearance shelf I knew they were the perfect match. Each lantern has a timer candle in them which creates this soft light in our room during the evening.








Curtains

We have a set of french doors with a transom in our bedroom that leads to the back porch. The doors have blinds built in but the transom does not. At night when we have the back porch light on, it comes through the transom and fills our room with light. Finding super tall curtains to coordinate with our bedding that didn't cost a fortune and me actually like them was seeming impossible so I got impatient with shopping and decided to sew some. I used a ivory denim because its cheap and is heaving enough to block light and heat/cold. These curtains are about 10 ft tall, times 2 of them so we are talking about 7 yds of fabric.  This project could have easily cost a lot more money because lets be honest...there is some amazing fabric out there...but you have to pay an amazingly crazy price for it.   I also decided to stick go with the ivory denim because I didn't want to use something that would overwhelm the room.  I used material left over from the headboard to create a stripe border at the bottom. After sewing the white curtain with the stripe border at the bottom, I felt it was too plain for me so I got brave and used a stencil and fabric paint to create a design border at the top and bottom. I am really happy with the result and it keeps the light out at night.





Tomorrow I am planning on showing the finished guest room.  We have two spare rooms which one is already set up as a guest room and the other is constantly in limbo.  Sometimes its super clean and set up with our workout stuff and Brian's fly tying station and other times it is a storage locker.  I am hoping to have it turned into the Fisherman's Wife Furniture Office over the next few weeks. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog! I certainly adore how it is straightforward on my eye balls as well as the particulars are properly written. I bookmarked your site! office furniture ft lauderdale

    ReplyDelete