Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Falling For Charleston

Hi!  I hope everyone is having a great week!  Blittle and I are trying to get back into the swing of things after being gone for an extended weekend, mini vacation in Charleston.  I think I fell in love while I was there.

We have been talking about getting away for a while now.  Both of us have been super busy with work and have been feeling very overwhelmed.  A few weeks ago, I finally got fed up with talking about leaving and bought plane tickets.  I was ready to get away and it needed to happen ASAP.

Charleston, South Carolina isn't a place we had on our travel list, but it is a place that has come up in conversation quite a bit in the past few months.  We were told it is like a clean and safe New Orleans.  That the food is great and the scenery and homes are beautiful.  There is also good fishing and beaches there (this was supposed to be a non beach, non fishing vacation but we ended up doing both).

So when I was checking for flights, I just happened to check Charleston, along with Cancun, Key West, and a few other islands.  Blittle kept saying he wants to do something "America" and see more of our country before we go back to the Caribbean.  So that's what we did.

I found a great, super cute rental through VRBO.com on Market Street.  This is a great location to walk to everything!  You could get away with not renting a car if you plan on staying just in the downtown area.  Here are the pictures of our rental and the link to it's page that has more info about it.









 They have two rentals in the same building.  We stayed in the second floor rental (see it here) then there is also a third floor rental that is very similar (see it here).  The owner is really sweet and helpful.  She provided us with tons of info on what to do and eat close to the rental.

While we were there, we ate at some amazing restaurants, went fishing with an internet friend, and tried to see as much of Charleston as we could.  I am going to do a separate post about food since there are so many pictures but here are a few photos from our fishing trip and tours we did.

We landed around noon and our rental check in time wasn't until 4 so we drove to Sullivan Island to eat and check out the beach.  I could live there.  The houses were pretty, they had yards AND trees, and they were close to the beach.  Loved it.







Blittle had a friend take us out to fish the flood tide.  If y'all don't know about the tides in the Carolinas and what a flood tide is, read about it.  I think it is so interesting and fascinating.  Here are a few shots from the marsh.  Also, it is the only time Blittle and I got a picture together.  So typical of us.  We took pictures of everything but ourselves.





We did a walking historic tour with Charleston by Foot.  I used the same company when I went to Washington DC and love them so I thought I would try them in Charleston.  Our guide was, Scott Nelson, and he gave us two hours filled with tons of information and seeing the town.  It was a great tour!













That evening we did a sunset dolphin cruise.  We wanted to see the city from the water so we decided to do this last minute but it was no problem getting a reservation.  The company was Adventure Harbor Tours.  You can bring a cooler with your own food and drinks for the cruise.  The boat captain is funny and his first mate gives information on the dolphins and other sea life.






Eating my boiled peanuts on the boat.  :)



See the dolphin?


Battery from the water.



The harbor from Waterfront Park.  They have huge swings for people to sit on while on the dock.  They are shaded and have a great view of the water.  This was one of my favorite things.  I want to build one on our dock now.







Charleston is a great city and I definitely see us going back.  Tomorrow I'll talk about all the places we ate and have food pics for everyone to drool over.

Have a great day!

 photo Signature_zps5473e161.png
 photo googleplustitanium_zps7c045137.png  photo rsstitanium_zps86d5562c.png  photo emailtitanium_zpsf8419ff0.png

No comments:

Post a Comment