Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Ebony & Brass Buffet Makeover

So several months ago, a woman in my neighborhood contacted me about buying some furniture from her.  I am always in the market for furniture especially when it finds me...and is only a mile away.  A dining set that includes a buffet, china cabinet, dining table and 6 chairs was part of the purchase.  Originally I thought about keeping the buffet for me and using it as storage/dresser in our bedroom but it isn't the right piece for that.  Fast forward a few months and my mom expressed some interest in it.  She is currently trying to furnish their apartment in Houston and rearrange/change the furniture in their Mid-County home.

After some discussion, measuring, planning and trips to the storage unit, she decided to take the entire set!

Just a little note about the furniture:  The set has Max Barnett stamped on them.  Max Barnett was a well known furniture store in New Orleans that occupied the Art Deco building at 600 Carondelet until the 1970s.  The building was recently purchased and is currently being renovated into a hotel.  The licensing info I can find on Max Barnett says it started in 1908 but after the 1970s I am not sure what happened.


The furniture is great quality, heavy and well built.  It has been neglected a little over the years but I am hopeful all the pieces can be beautiful again.

The buffet had its makeover first and the result is stunning.  This is definitely one of the best before and afters of Fisherman's Wife Furniture.  I love that my mom wanted it stained (I didn't really give her a choice) and the wood was preserved.

Here are the before pictures.







Obviously the piece is in decent shape and is a pretty design but up close you can see the wear and tear its had over the years.







The pulls are brass so they were polished back to their bright, clean finish.  (See my How to Polish Brass Tutorial here.)






The entire piece was stripped and sanded before stain could go on.  Almost all the imperfections were fixed with sanding and I only had to fill a few places where the veneer damage was extreme.  Thankfully my mom helped out on this project!  Thanks, Mom.






She loves to paint furniture black.  Its a thing.  We don't even ask anymore what color she plans to paint stuff so I wasn't shocked when she said she wanted the piece stained ebony.  HAHA.  Of course.  The thing I love about Minwax Ebony stain is the rich, dark color still shows the grain.  The ebony stain and the mahogany wood are a perfect pair.  It took two coats of stain to get the rich color then I did 3 coats of clear coat.  


Pictures do not capture how beautiful this finish is.   


Here are the after shots.










Gorgeous! It has been given new life.





I mentioned before she bought the entire set.  So guess what I am working on this week?!





This guy was stripped and sanded today.  I am so excited to see its transformation.


SHARING AT:

Monday - Inspire Me Monday (Sand & Sisal,  My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaDomestically SpeakingSweet C’s Designs)  Made by you Monday (Skip To My Lou)

Tuesday - 
 Show and Share (Coastal Charm)


Wednesday:Wow Us Wednesday (Savvy Southern Style), Inspire Me Wednesday (Seven Thirty ThreeHappiness is Homemade) Be You tiful (Art is Beauty)  Wednesday Before and After (The Dedicated House)

Thursday: What To Do Weekends (Crafts ala Mode ),  The Best DIY Party at the Handmade Hangout (A Glimpse Inside, Christina’s AdventuresFrom Gardners to BergersRedoux InteriorsToo Much Time on My Hands), Creativity Unleashed (Practically Functional, Shaken Together, One Project Closer, The Bold Abode, and The DIY Village)


Friday:  The Party Bunch (The Idea Room30 Handmade DaysWhipperberryThe 36th Avenue),  Anything Goes (Bacon Time),  Be. You. Tiful Link Party (Chic California), Creativity Unleashed (Practically FunctionalShaken TogetherOne Project CloserThe Bold Abode)  Fabulously Creative Friday (Jennifer Rizzo Blog)   


20 comments:

  1. This is a real beauty! You did a great job in preserving its character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all of are nice and like all of them. i need some furniture who never damage by water. can you suggest about that?
    woodworkingbuddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! Thank you for sharing! You are one of the features at The Round-Up from the Before & After Wednesday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/09/the-round-up-from-before-after-wednesday.html Hope to see you tonight at the party! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for hosting the link party.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kaylor! You are being showcased at the Weekly Feature Series. Here is that link so you can check out all of the amazing features from the week. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/09/weekly-feature-series.html Hope you're having an amazing weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job! Totally inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for compiling such nicest information in your blogs. Articles are very informative and hope again I’ll find more like that.recycled plastic muskoka chairs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone. I saw comments from people who already got their loan from
    Jackson Walton Loan Company, honestly i thought it was scam , and then I
    decided to apply under their recommendations and just few days ago I
    confirmed in my own personal bank account a total amount of $38,000 which I
    requested for. This is really a great news and i am so happy, I am advising
    everyone who needs real loan to apply through their email (Text or Call
    +1-586-331-5557) (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com) They are capable of
    given you your loan thanks.

    Contact Mr Jackson.
    E-mail: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Fax: +1-586-331-5557

    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worth of my Time and money and that very impressive information that you have shared with us thanks alot
    Shillong Teer and I have found your blog in the google page

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is very impressive and most advance information that i have seen among differentShillong Teer Results Blogs and I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey I was very glad to see this and Now that what i am looking for this is very impressive and most advance information that i have seen among different
    Shillong Results Online Blogs and I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you may find some of the information related to this but this is the most advance information that i have seen among different
    Shillong teer hit lottery Blogs and I really liked it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way through which you have secured the information that i have seen among different
    Shillong teer hit Number Blogs and I really liked it. Love it. You nailed it friend

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heard that this blog is very good for the information that is absolutely true thanks alot for sharing it.
    Shillong hit lottery Number Blogs and I really liked it. Loved it layout.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet you have some secret source of the information that you have shared with us for the
    Win Shillong hit lottery Number thanks for sharing this info


    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the way through which you have you have shared this information with us and i really liked to share it.
    Shillong Teer Number thanks for sharing this info..Loved it and Share it on my wall and my facebook page

    ReplyDelete


  16. Have such an a nice information that you have shared with us is more tricky and formulated..Thanks for sharing this info
    Shillong Teer Lottery You can check the results it has betetrt view
    I have found a website which has amazing

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete