Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Master Bedroom Dresser Reveal

Wow.  What a weekend.  We made tons of progress in the bathroom.  It is starting to look like a bathroom again and less like a construction zone!  I'll have pictures and info about the bathroom on Friday or you can go to Facebook and Instagram to see some progress pics.  Today, I am going to show you our new dresser.

When we started the master bath renovation I decided to give our master bedroom a mini makeover.  The decor and color were never right for me.  Everything I used we previously owned or was handed down when we moved.  It was a weird mix of stuff that didn't work in the space or for us.  I painted the bedroom Pale Smoke by Benjamin Moore which coordinated well with our bedding.  I hated it.  From the first day it was on the wall, I didn't love it.  Unfortunately, there was no time to repaint the room then.  We were in the middle of unpacking, painting other rooms, and doing the kitchen renovation.  The master would have to wait.  See the first Master Bedroom Revel here.

So over the past few years I have been thinking about bedding color, furniture style and other decor details for the room.  I had an idea for furniture but I try not to get my mind set on something specific because it is not always in budget or available.  Mostly I needed pieces that had tons of storage.  A dresser that is at least 70 inches long that can hold much more than our current dresser.

Current Dresser.





My mom found this large dresser at a garage sale.





Does it look familiar?  It should.  It is the exact same dresser that my grandparent's had and I now use as a coffee bar!





Same company.  Same material.  Same dresser.  For this makeover I wanted a natural driftwood finish.  Something similar to these tables I did for my sister-in-law.  Pine can be hard to work with sometimes.  It wants to be really dark or really light so I knew a natural driftwood look might be challenging.  And it was.  So much so, that it didn't happen.  The driftwood stain didn't even change the color.  Not going to lie, I was disappointed but not shocked by this.

Plan B was the weathered wood look.  I tend to like driftwood better because I am drawn to the brown tones.  A weathered wood finish had me nervous because of all the gray tones and I wasn't sure I liked it at first.  Now the walls have their new color, we have new bedding and curtains, as well as new end tables.  It is all coming together and I love it.

Here are a few more before shots.







For this finished I used Rust-Oleum Weathered Gray stain for the first coat.  I let it dry over night then I distressed the wood.  I used 220 grit to lightly sand, focusing on the edges.  The last color coat was a white glaze (a glazing medium + antique white latex paint).  Finally, the clear coats.

The coffee bar has the original hardware but I wanted to do new for this makeover.  Something much more updated and sleek.  Hole size was a problem (as always) so I went with these soft iron colored handles.  It required drilling all new holes but they cover up the old ones.   :)









It has been great having such a large dresser.  The storage space is amazing and I finally have a home for my folded clothes.  Obviously I still need to add some decor on this wall (notice the new paint color) and a few things on top of the dresser but all of that will be shown in the room reveal.

Check back tomorrow to see our end tables!



 photo Signature_zps5473e161.png
Monday - Inspire Me Monday (Sand & Sisal,  My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaDomestically SpeakingSweet C’s Designs)  Made by you Monday (Skip To My Lou)

Tuesday - 
 Show and Share (Coastal Charm), From Dream to Reality (The DIY Dreamer), Show and Tell (Sugar Bee Crafts)

Wednesday:Wow Us Wednesday (Savvy Southern Style),  Be You tiful (Art is Beauty)  Wednesday Before and After (The Dedicated House) Work It Wednesday (The Blissful Bee, The Turquoise Home,  The Happy Housie, A Place of My Taste

Thursday: What To Do Weekends (Crafts ala Mode ),  The Best DIY Party at the Handmade Hangout (A Glimpse Inside, Christina’s AdventuresFrom Gardners to BergersRedoux InteriorsToo Much Time on My Hands), Creativity Unleashed (Practically Functional, Shaken Together, One Project Closer, The Bold Abode, and The DIY Village)


Friday:  The Party Bunch (The Idea Room30 Handmade DaysWhipperberryThe 36th Avenue),  Creativity Unleashed (Practically FunctionalShaken TogetherOne Project CloserThe Bold Abode)  Fabulously Creative Friday (Jennifer Rizzo Blog), Friday Furniture Fix (Thirty Eighth Street, Patina Paradise, 58 Water Street, Anastasia Vintage, Slightly Coastal)

22 comments:

  1. Looks great ~ love the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it's new finish! It looks like it came straight out of a Restoration Hardware catalog! I'd like to invite you to link this piece as well as any other furniture makeovers you have to Friday's Furniture Fix! Doors open every Thursday at 9PM EST and close on Monday's at 11:59PM EST. Hope to see you there!... Carrie http://thirtyeighthstreet.blogspot.com/2015/09/week-7-fridays-furniture-fix.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie. Thanks so much for visiting! I just linked up and I'll be sure to link up future projects as well. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I'm not good at doing things like this. And I want to prove to my husband I can do this. Do you know where I can get step by step directions on how to refinish my guest bedroom dresser and my master bedroom Amour. Please help me prove to my husband I can do this. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Kaylor, what a gorgeous piece! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at The Round-Up from the Before & After Wednesday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/09/the-round-up-from-before-after-wednesday_15.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grey finish is so attractive and thee new handles is the perfect completion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaylor! The Weekly Feature Series is live! You are one of the 25 Amazing Features from the Week. Here's the link to check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/09/weekly-feature-series_20.html Have a lovely Sunday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing bedroom dresser furniture!! I just loved these beautiful graycolored furniture designs. Really it helps to enhance the whole interior of your house with various decorative objects. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What did you do to pre his pice before applying the stain? I have a dresser that is almost identical and want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry! I didn't proof that message. What did you do to prep this piece before applying the stain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl. It has a thick clear coat and the original stain was dark so using stripper was the best method to get rid of all that. Then I sanded really well, cleaned and applied my finishing products. Hope this helps. Thanks! Visit our new site: www.brianandkaylor.com

      Delete
  9. Hi I have a bedroom set in a honey pine that I want to make off white and leave the tops the original color. What I need to know is how to do this. Any tips? I know with Annie Sloan I dont need to sa d it and that is a great load off my mind! But Im not sure if I should use a paint bush and do a light coat, or use a rag.Any advise would be so helpful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi did you completely sand this first. I have a piece exactly similar to this and am trying to achieve this exact look. I just sanded and did a test spot with the stain it's pretty dark, will sanding achieve the weathered distress look? Can I buy glaze already made from HD or Lowes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mia. Yes, I completely sanded the dresser. It was down to the raw pine. What color did you stain? Pine will absorb lots of stain and will be extremely dark if you are using a dark stain. I sanded mine after I stained to expose some raw wood and make the stain not so perfect. After that I glazed. There are several different glazing mediums on the market. I like the Valspar glazing medium. It is easy to work with. Just use some water based latex paint to tint it. I hope that helps. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Hi Kaylor!

    I love the dresser with the dark top and the weathered, white bottom half. I am purchasing an old dresser, similar to this one, and am hoping to make it into a T.V. stand. Do you have any tips to help me achieve the same awesome results you have? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks I am also using the weathered grey. I applied one coat it's true grey. So I'm
    Going to sand then apply the glaze correct?

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a gorgeous piece! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! Did you use flat or satin latex paint for the mix?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whether you are renting or buying a house, finding furniture that suits your budget and liking is the most tricky part. The most considered features are the style and functionality of the furniture. Here in TreasureBox we have a wide variety of furniture choices from living room furniture, bedroom furniture, dining room furniture, to outdoor furniture. Feel free to mix and match as you wish in order to design your room the way you want it.

    ReplyDelete